Come the fall, the program switches to riding on the grass and trails of local parks to experience cyclocross riding.
Cyclocross involves riding on a variety of different terrains including pavement, wooded trails, grass, uphills, downhills, twists, turns and obstacles requiring the rider to quickly dismount, carrying the bike wile navigating an obstruction and remounting. Think of it as steeple chase with occasional bouts of mud and smiles all around.
- To provide a safe, fun and friendly introduction to the sport of cyclocross to OBC youth members.
- To continue to build cycling skills including balance, braking, acceleration and endurance that have been developed in the OBC spring/summer road program.
- To introduce cyclocross-specific skills including dismounting, mounting, approach to barriers/obstacles, and riding different types of terrain.
- To support advanced youth riders, demonstrating an interest and commitment to cyclocross, through additional training support and coaching support at regional, provincial, and national competitions as appropriate.
Season Schedule (to be confirmed)
- Weeknights: Thursdays (Sept 6, 13, 20, 27), 6-7:30pm
- Weekends: Sundays (Sept 16, 23), 2-4pm
- Various local parks including the Arboretum, Mooney's Bay, Strathcona Park, Britannia Beach Park.
- Ages 5-18 (and interested member parents with a registered child).
- Training groups will be formed based on age and skill/ability level.
- Cyclocross bike (will accept 30mm tires or wider) or mountain bike. Bikes must have functioning brakes.
- Sturdy running shoes or mountain bike shoes (clipless pedals for advanced riders only).
- CSA-approved helmet.
- Cycling gloves.
- Water bottle and snack for all training sessions.
- Training sessions are held in advance of and can be tied to the Eastern Ontario Cyclocross Series, a regularly scheduled youth/family friendly series of Sunday events taking place form late September through November that will be fully supported by OBC coaches in partnership with Tekné (on Ottawa area bicycle team). Registration for the series is done separately.
- For advanced youth riders, coaching support will be provided for provincial- and national-level events.
For questions, please contact Noel Harrington, Director of the Youth Program:E-mail