The women’s time trial series was created in 1989 as a way of encouraging the development of female cyclists by providing them with their own time trial series. Today, participants/riders in the WTT series range from recreational participants to serious racers of all ages and abilities.
The series is run by volunteers and as such we are always looking for extra hands to help out. Devoted partners and friends are needed as time-keepers, bike holders and course marshals. All participants/riders are encouraged to recruit new participants and volunteers, or by helping out themselves.
After each week’s event, the riders optionally gather at a local restaurant for drinks, supper, and an exchange of ideas.
Tuesdays, starting first Tuesday in May until last Tuesday in August
Race time: 6:00pm (changes to 5:00 pm when the days become short) (See Club Calendar)
May – Aug: Online pre-registration is required; registration links are provided at the OBC weekly updates.
The 9 km course is “out and back” along the Sir George Etienne Cartier Parkway (SGEC). Volunteers and participants/riders will meet at the Aviation Museum parking lot (11 Aviation Parkway), at least ten minutes before race time for final instructions. Participants/riders will then be asked to bike towards the start line at the SGEC via the Aviation multi-use pathway
- There will be up to 3 waves of 10 riders with a 10 minute break between each wave (to manage volunteer capacity, we are capping registrations at 30).
- There will be 30 seconds between each rider within a wave.
- There will be no holder, but there will be support for count down at the start line. Start with a foot on the ground or do a track stand.
- There will be no drafting!
- Be aware of your surroundings: cars, people, animals, cracks on the road. Safety first!
- Watch out for the turnaround point at around 4.5 kilometers. It is situated just outside of a parking lot to your right. For markers, from a distance you will see a blue parking lot sign, then you will see an orange cone, and then you will see a cardboard sign with a turnaround arrow drawing. Check for safety, then make your turn.
- Important: As you approach the finish line, please call out your rider # twice, so that your time will be properly recorded.
- Additional Time Trial Rules to be followed
The NCC Liability waiver must be read and signed, prior to participation in the first time trial event. Under-18 riders must have a parent or guardian co-sign the waiver before they can participate.
- Since 2020, this event was offered to OBC members only (included in membership fee).
We use the standard CCA (Canadian Cycling Association) racing categories, which use age as of Dec 31 of the current year
- Vet A = 30 to 39
- Vet B = 40 to 49
- Vet C = 50 to 59
- Vet D = 60 to 69
- Vet E = 70 to 79
- Vet F = 80 to 89
We also have
- Bibit = Under 9
- Atomee = Under 11
- Peewee = Under 13
- Minime = Under 15
- Cadet = Under 17
- Junior = Under 19
- Senior = 19 to 29
For more information, to volunteer to help out at the women’s time trials, or to discuss issues or concerns, please contact:
E-mail WTT program lead director